Saturday, November 25, 2023

Called to Serve!

For Saturday, November 25, 2023:

Romans 15:23 NLT, Paul speaking: “But now I have finished my work in these regions, and after all these long years of waiting, I am eager to visit you in Rome.

God calls us to serve, and then calls end. When God calls us to something new, we look forward to it with excitement. It’s a lot more difficult when our call ends. One time I had been working for a church for a dozen years. But with the arrival of a new pastor, it became clear that my call had ended. By then I knew everyone in the congregation, and the people I served with had become my closest friends. It was hard to walk away. Yes, there were tears. But when one door closes, another opens, and I was at my next church for about six years.

Each of us is blessed with different gifts and talents. Some people attend a church to worship and be a member of the congregation. Others help with the presentation each week. I’m clearly in the second group. To facilitate a church service, I can play piano/sing/lead the worship; speak/teach; operate the sound system; or record the event. But I’m fairly uncomfortable just sitting in a pew and doing nothing. That’s not how I’m wired! That’s not how God made me! When the service ends, my wife wants to make friends and meet new people. I prefer to hang out with the musicians and tech team. That’s just how God made us – unique!

So be obedient when God calls, and be patient when your call ends. The sun will always come up tomorrow!

Blessings – See you at church!

Pastor Norton Lawellin

Jesus in the City Fellowship


No comments:

Post a Comment