Sunday, May 7, 2023

Trinity!

For Sunday, May 7, 2023:

John 14:8-9a NLT: “Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.” Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father!”

Christians believe in one God who makes himself known to us in three different persons: God-the-Father on the throne in heaven; Jesus, known as the Son of God, who walked on earth alongside mankind; and the Holy Spirit, our advocate and comforter, with us until Jesus returns. But like I said, really only one God! Let me explain.

God in all his forms is omnipresent, able to be in many places at the same time. So it should come as no surprise that Jesus on earth could pray to his Father in heaven, or that Jesus could return to heaven to sit at the right hand of God while the Holy Spirit continues earthly work.

Our God is omniscient having all knowledge. After all, he designed many universes, knowing just where each planet should go, how far apart they should be and in which direction they should spin! God placed planet earth 93M miles from the sun, assuring mankind a perfect climate in which to thrive.

God is also omnipotent, all-powerful, which means he can accomplish any task to which he sets his divine mind.

I must confess that as I write or speak, I find myself often using the (technically) incorrect term. Usually it’s when Jesus says something, and I’ll write, “God said…” It happens because there’s really only one God, and in my mind, I consider the different forms simply as only one God. If I (or you) get it wrong, I don’t think it’s any big deal, and God is smart enough to figure out what was intended!

Jesus simplified it as he gave us a boat-load of knowledge: “Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father!”

Pastor Norton Lawellin

Jesus in the City Fellowship


No comments:

Post a Comment