Tuesday, July 14, 2020

With the Shepherd


For Tuesday, July 14, 2020.

Psalm 23:1 ESV: “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.”

As we continue looking at Psalm 23, I always find it interesting to check out different Bible translations. People ask, “Which translation is the best?” And of course the answer is, “the one you USE!” We’re still looking for signs of “hope” in the midst of our current circumstances.
“Adonai is my Shepherd; I lack nothing.”
“You, Lord, are my Shepherd. I will never be in need.”
“The Lord is my Shepherd. I have everything I need.”
“Because the Lord is my Shepherd, I lack nothing!”

The Bible teaches that God will meet our basic needs. We will lack nothing. It seems like I harp on about trusting God and not worrying; that’s what this is scripture about. But remember that it promises to meet your NEEDS, not your WANTS! Some people eat hamburger; others eat steak. Either way you’ll survive. Some people wear a suit to work; others wear jeans and a T-shirt. Either way you have clothes.

At my church, we work with a lot of people in recovery. Their ‘shelter’ is a room in the treatment facility or a halfway house. Their clothes were donated, and meals come from a food shelf. They have everything they need. We tend to WANT a lot more than we NEED!

We used to sing a song, “Jehovah Jireh,” – “The Lord will provide.” Bobby McFerrin sings, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy!” He advises us to sing our prayers! (Easy for him…) The point is to let God be God, and for us to stop worrying about what He’s already taking care of.

Be filled with the Joy of the Lord. Tell your face!

Blessings to all this week!

Pastor Norton
Jesus in the City Fellowship
3249 30th Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55406

No comments:

Post a Comment