Monday, July 6, 2015

Psalm 6


July 06, 2015 Monday Message:

“Have compassion on me, Lord, for I am weak.” Psalm 6:2a NLT

Ancient Jews would describe someone’s spiritual health in terms of their relationship with God. If someone was sinning, they were said to be “far from God.” If they changed their ways, they returned, turned back towards God (teshuva.) If they were now living a Holy life, they were described as “closer to God.”

We use similar analogies nowadays. “I was in darkness, but turned and came into the light.” “I was blind, but now I see.”

Life’s problems: sickness, misfortune, financial issues, failed relationships – all received prayer. But the prayer usually wasn’t about the specific problem; the prayer was for complete restoration by God. “How long, O Lord, until you restore me?” Psalm 6:3b

David speaks like all of us as he inserts a little extra drama into this prayer. “I am worn out from sobbing… I flood my bed with weeping… My vision is blurred by grief.”

But the net result is trust and confidence. “The Lord has heard my plea; the Lord will answer my prayer.” Psalm 6:9

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart.” Proverbs 3:5a

Norton Lawellin

Let’s worship together! Jesus in the City Fellowship (JICF) gathers at 10 a.m. every Sunday in the North end (gym) of the Oliver Ministry Building, 2647 Bloomington Ave., Minneapolis. This Sunday, July 12, Paul presents his testimony to the Sanhedrin, the Jewish High Council. See you at church!

No comments:

Post a Comment