Thursday, January 12, 2023

Righteousness!

For Thursday, January 12, 2023:

Matthew 5:6 NIV: “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.”

Jesus is blessing those in his audience that day. When they came to hear the Savior speak, they were in pursuit of righteousness! Jesus will fill them!

We see believers hungering after or intently pursuing many things, such as power, wealth and earthly happiness. But how many hunger and thirst for righteousness? We should pray, “Lord, let me live the way you want me to live. Let me diligently execute the plans you have for me.”

Spurgeon writes, “Oh, that my nature could be changed, so that I, the lover of sin, could be made a lover of that which is good; that I, now full of evil, could become full of holiness!”

Have you ever been really hungry and thirsty? I mean, totally starved! Jesus used this analogy because many of his followers had to forage for food daily. Most of us, probably not. Jesus promised to fill those searching for righteousness with as much as they could consume. It’s a curious filling that both satisfies us yet still keeps us longing for more!

Food is life. Righteousness is eternal life!

Pastor Norton Lawellin

Jesus in the City Fellowship

No comments:

Post a Comment