Monday, November 27, 2017

Psalms 120 - Save me from Gossip


Nov. 27, 2017 Monday Message:

“Save me, Lord, from lying lips and deceitful tongues.” Psalms 120:2 NIV

In elementary school, I was taught, “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” I don’t think that’s quite true. Somebody trash-talking you behind your back can leave you in a world of hurt.

Some people just don’t ‘get’ their gossip factor, so they persist in it.

Example: Many people watch a football game on Sunday afternoon, and then spend the next week critiquing what happened. “I think the quarterback messed up the play. They shouldn’t have run that play in the first place. That coach has no business working in the NFL.” Everybody has an opinion on how the day should have gone. Sportscasters and radio show hosts – professional arm-chair quarterbacks – spend the next week criticizing athletes who generally aren’t present to defend themselves.

At least they’re well-paid for taking this kind of abuse. You and I are not, and as Christians with Jesus’ value system in place, we shouldn’t speak badly of others. In fact, we should campaign against gossip, and if someone gossips to us, we need to ask them to please stop. I really don’t want to hear someone’s bad opinion of a third party who can’t answer the charges.

My mother always taught me, “If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.” I think that’s good advice.

Cruel words are crushing the psalmist, who writes, “I call on the Lord in my distress, and he answers me.” The Lord is always the best place to turn when you need rescuing. Ps. 120:1

Norton Lawellin

Jesus in the City Fellowship meets next Sunday, Dec. 3, 2017, 3249 30th Ave. S., Minneapolis, MN 55406, 10:30 AM. Pastor Michael Pilla lead us through Advent - See you at church!

No comments:

Post a Comment