Monday, October 12, 2015

Psalm 18


October 12, 2015 Monday Message:

“I love you, Lord, my strength.” Psalms 18:1 NIV

God had rescued David from all his enemies and from Saul, and David was grateful. God is the best! So David sang Psalm 18 to the Lord, and gave the words to the worship leader, so others could sing along too.

David doesn’t hold anything back – he jumps right in: “I love you Lord!” Then he exposits upon that first thought: “You are my rock, my fortress, my shield, my deliverer … God’s way is perfect – Who is the rock except our God?”

David talks about God orchestrating his rescue: “He drew me out of deep waters ... He rescued me because he delighted in me.” Apparently this all happened the way God directed!

Too often our contemporary worship songs talk about us, what we are going to do for God: “I will worship you, I will answer Your call, I will sing praises.” These aren’t ‘bad’ themes, but sometimes I feel like there’s too much “I” and not enough God.

There is value in a song like Psalm 18, where God is King: “As for God, his way is perfect: The Lord’s word is flawless.” Psalm 18:30 And David asks the rhetorical question: “Who is God besides the Lord?” Psalm 18:31a God is awesome, almighty and all-powerful – He is God and we are not! Amen!

Spend some time this week with Psalm 18, and witness David’s ultimate praise and worship experience!

Norton Lawellin

Come worship with us! Jesus in the City Fellowship (JICF) gathers at 10 a.m. every Sunday in the North end (gym) of the Oliver Ministry Building, 2647 Bloomington Ave., Minneapolis. This Sunday, Oct. 18, I’ll continue our study in Ephesians 1:15-23. See you at church!

No comments:

Post a Comment