Monday, February 18, 2013

Ancestral Accolades



We’ve been looking at the 10 Commandments. Ex. 20 The first four are about our relationship with God, and we wrapped up that section last week.

Jesus also taught us, “Love your neighbor as yourself,” Matt. 22:39 and the remaining six commandments deal with exactly that: Our relationships with others.

#5    "Honor your father and your mother..."

If I had understood this sooner, I could have done a better job with it. As a know-it-all young adult, I felt my parents were hopelessly old-fashioned and no fun at all. After all, I was young, hip, better looking, had more hair and less weight, and, frankly, I was cool. Or so I thought.

As I grew older and wiser myself, I discovered that my parents had been full of wisdom all along. But now my eyes were opened and I could see. I came to realize that those who once appeared fatally square were actually the ones on a solid path. I have been able to discern, not just in my parents, but also in all elders, much perennial wisdom. Gaining that knowledge had a lot to do with thinking less of myself, and caring more about others. It’s been a gradual learning process; progress, not perfection.

I don’t think I’m alone in this. Elders throughout our country are routinely discarded in favor of the tragically hip. Instead of valuing senior wisdom as a resource, and giving elders a place of honor, it seems we can’t be troubled by their presence.

The Bible says that even though walking with the Lord might make us unpopular in the short run, it will work out in the long run. We should all be intentional about this good, God honoring thing, lifting up our parents.

This is the only commandment that comes with a promise. God will grant you abundance and a long life in the land He is giving you.

Next week, #6: Killing vs. Murder!

Norton Lawellin

We’ll worship this Sunday, Feb. 24, 10:30am, Jesus in the City Fellowship (JICF), in the North end of the Oliver Ministry Building, 27th Street & Bloomington Avenue, Minneapolis. Jesus explains the Parable of the Farmer Scattering Seed as we open up Luke Ch. 8.

NL
  

No comments:

Post a Comment