Monday, September 10, 2012

At MY Church

September 10, 2012 Monday Message:

At MY Church

Years ago, another couple introduced my wife and me to their church. We liked it, continued attending and our children enjoyed their youth programs. We became more and more involved, and made many new friends; but we hadn’t officially joined yet.

Then one day I heard the words come out of my mouth: “I need to stop by my church.” That’s right, I said, “MY church!” Over time, I had developed an ownership point-of-view. I had been transformed from a church consumer into a church facilitator.

I have gradually been shown that I’m not very good at sitting in the pew. If I’m at an event, including a church service, I’m more comfortable teaching, playing piano, singing, adjusting the sound or recording the event. That’s the way God wired me, and those are the gifts God gave me. Someone else should sit in the pew, someone who’s good at it – it’s better that way.

Notice that I used the word, “facilitator.” It’s not the church leader’s job to do church FOR you. Leaders, including pastors, should facilitate — help to enable everyone in their flock to fulfill God’s ministry-call on their lives. In some way, we’re all called to serve. I’ve never seen the term “non-serving believer” in the Bible.

At Jesus in the City Fellowship, we believe church isn’t a spectator sport. We want everybody off the bench and in the game.

Norton Lawellin

Mark your calendar – October 7, 2012
Jesus in the City Fellowship and Familia de Fe (Spanish language) will be worshiping together, in the main sanctuary of the Oliver Ministry Building, 27th Street & Bloomington Avenue, 10:30am. Pastor Michael Pilla teaching, Pastor Walter Chuquimia translating. Pot luck follows in the gym – bring something to share!

I’ll be on the road for a couple of weeks, so John will lead worship on Sunday, Sept. 16, as JICF worships 10:30am. Pastor Michael continues our journey through Luke.

No comments:

Post a Comment