Monday, July 9, 2012

Now I See!

July 09, 2012 Monday Message:

Man healed by Jesus: “This one thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!” John 9:25b

The disciples asking, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” launched quite a series of events. Jesus’ healing the man on the Sabbath provoked the ire of the Pharisees, who were now convinced that Jesus was quite the sinner.

The Pharisees then interviewed the formerly-blind man, but cast disparaging remarks on his testimony. Repeatedly he told his story of being healed, and repeatedly he was challenged.

Exasperated, the man finally threw up his hands: “Whether Jesus is a sinner or not, I don’t know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!”

Most people stop reading there, sing Amazing Grace and call it a day. But there’s more to the story. Jesus tracked down the man, and asked, “Do you believe in the Son of Man, the one speaking with you?”

The man answered, “Lord, I believe,” and he worshiped him.

Some Pharisees overheard, and wondered, “Are we blind too?”

The truth is, “yes,” but Jesus is talking about the Pharisees being “spiritually” blind. If they were searching for the truth, their blind eyes would be opened to the fact that Jesus is the light of the world. But if they think that they already know everything, they are blind to the teachings of Jesus.

May Jesus shine His light into your world today!

Norton Lawellin

This Sunday I’ll be leading worship at Jesus in the City – 2 weeks left in the old location – lower level of Trinity First, 1115 E. 19th St., Mpls., 11am. Our study in Galatians continues.

We’re looking forward to July 29 – when Jesus in the City Sunday worship moves to the Oliver Ministry Center, 27th Street & Bloomington Avenue. New service time: 10:30am. Let your prayers cover our transition into this huge new opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment