Thursday, April 29, 2010

Last week I questioned how the cross, the Roman instrument of torture and execution, had become the “logo” for Christianity. I know the answer, but wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts on the matter. Laura Compton, a longtime Monday Message reader, sent an explanation straight from her heart. It’s a fantastic justification for the cross. I liked it so well that I posted it to share with all of you.

Hey Norton,
The cross reminds us of the sacrifice, which is not news. But God established the remembrance of many important events for Israel, Passover of course being a huge one, to help the people remember. Jesus instated the ritual of Holy Communion because His shed blood and broken body were to be remembered forever. Human nature forgets too easily. We can't begin to fathom the torment Jesus experienced for us, but it's imperative that we honor it with all our hearts. To forgo the cross would be a betrayal, to me. It's too easy to forget the details as it is, or to keep them filed in the back of our brains. I try to watch a movie about Jesus at Christmas, Easter, and whenever I feel like it, to bring the reality of His days on earth to the forefront of my thoughts. We can't comprehend the miracle of it all, but we should remind ourselves often. This is what the cross does. His time here was not a walk in the park, and we'd be in terrible shape if He hadn't endured that torturous event. The least we can do is remember with all our strength.

When I was young I asked my Mother why the Catholic cross included Jesus, and our Protestant cross didn't. She said it's because He's no longer on the cross... He is risen. So for me, the cross reminds me of two very important things, each time I look at it.

Thanks for your Monday messages, and for all you do!
Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment